Federation of Writers Scotland Vernal Equinox Competition 2016
PLEASE NOTE: DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL 31 MARCH 2016
Prizes in each category: 1st prize £50, 2nd prize £25, 3rd prize £10
Rules of Entry
- There will be three categories, poetry, short stories and flash fiction. Entrants may submit an unlimited number of entries for each or for all three categories provided they are accompanied by the correct entry fee.
- No entrant may receive more than one prize in each category.
- Entry is open: you do not have to be a member of the Federation of Writers (Scotland)
- In the poetry category you may submit an unlimited number of entries. No poem should exceed forty lines in length excluding the title. Please indicate the number of lines at the end of the poem.
- In the prose category you may submit an unlimited number of stories of between 1,500-2,000 words in length. Please indicate the word count at the end of the story.
- In the flash fiction category you may submit an unlimited number of pieces not exceeding 500 words in length. Please indicate the word count at the end of the piece.
- Work submitted must be in English or Scots and must be your own work (no translations).
- No work submitted should have been previously published/broadcast/e-published or posted on-line in any form.
- Entries must be typewritten, double-spaced (single-spacing is acceptable for poems) on one side only of A4 paper using at least a 12pt font and, if sent by email, sent as a Word, rtf or pdf document. Please number each page. No name or other mark which could identify the author should appear on any page of the entry which should be accompanied by a separate cover sheet setting out your name, address and email address, the category or categories entered, the number and title(s) of entries and the total fee due.
- If you are sending your entry by post please use a paperclip to secure pages NOT a staple and send two copies of each entry.
- Entries will not be returned so please keep a copy of your entry.
- No alteration can be made to an entry once submitted.
- The judges’ decision is final. The judges cannot enter into any correspondence regarding entries. The organisers reserve the right to withhold prizes in any category if the number of entries received is insufficient or if entries received are judged not to meet the required standard.
- Closing date for the competition is midnight on 21 March 2016.
- Entry fee is £3 per poem, £3 per flash fiction piece, £5 per short story.
- Failure to comply with the above rules or to pay the appropriate entry fee will result in automatic disqualification.
- Successful entrants will be notified by May 31 2016.
How to enter
Email your entry with a separate cover sheet (see 9 above) as a Word, pdf or rtf document to email@example.com to arrive by midnight on 31 March 2016. Email submission of entries is preferred.
Send your entry (two copies) with a separate cover sheet (see 9 above) to:
0/1 25 Craigmillar Rd
All entrants: Send the appropriate fee (see 15 above) by bank transfer to Account No.12874968, sort code 80-22-60 (name of account Federation of Writers (Scotland), Bank of Scotland) using as identification your name followed by ‘comp16’. If you are not able to send money by bank transfer please send a cheque or postal order (pounds sterling only) made out to The Federation of Writers (Scotland) by post to the address above.
Email entries will be acknowledged on receipt.
Postal entrants wishing confirmation that their entries have been received should enclose a stamped addressed postcard.
No entries will be entered in the competition until the entry fee has been received
PLEASE NOTE: Proof of posting does not mean proof of delivery.