- New Voices Press (NVP) is an imprint of the Federation of Writers (Scotland) (FWS). The NVP is not a commercial publisher, and is open for submissions only from members of the FWS. Membership of the FWS is free, and open to writers anywhere with an interest in Scotland and Scottish writing. FWS membership is separate from membership of the Facebook group and you can apply via this website.
- All members of the NVP editorial team will look at all work submitted within the terms of these guidelines. An acknowledgement of receipt will be sent to the author within four weeks of submission.
- NVP considers poetry, short works of prose fiction and non-fiction, humour, cartoons and graphics in any of the languages of Scotland. Gaelic submissions must also be accompanied by an English translation.
- The following are guidelines for initial submissions:
Poetry: up to Four poems, not more than 40 lines per poem.
Prose: up to 3 complete stories, articles or humorous pieces, not more than 6,600 words in total.
Cartoons and graphics: up to 3 pieces
All work to be single spaced and in Times Roman 12 point. Do not include your name or other identifying mark on the work submitted but submit it with a separate sheet giving your name, address and contact details.
- The editorial team regret that they do not have resources to support publication through NVP of novels or novellas, screenplays, full-length dramas or large non-fiction projects. They recommend that members submit these to commercial publishers or literary agents in line with guidance available in the current editions of The Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook or The Writer’s Handbook.
- Material already being considered by other publishers should not be offered to NVP.
- Submissions should be sent via email to Anne Connolly: email@example.com in Word compatible documents.
Authors who do not have access to electronically generated documents should contact the FWS Committee for further advice, explaining their circumstances and the nature of their desired submissions.
Paper submissions will be accepted for assessment only; if accepted, the author may still be required to re-submit the work in an electronic form in order to go forward to publication.
7. All members should ensure that they keep a copy of everything they submit.